The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names

Churches and Cemeteries

  1. About the Forest of Dean, GLS
  2. Abbey Dore, HER
  3. Abenhall, GLS
  4. Aberdare St John, GLA
  5. Abson St James, GLS
  6. Aldgate St Botolph's, LON
  7. Alverstoke St Mary's, HAM
  8. Ashton Cemetery
  9. Aston Ingham, HER
  10. Bagillt St Mary, FLN
  11. Bedwellty St Sannan, MON
  12. Beoley St Leonards, WOR
  13. Bermondsey St Magdalen, LON
  14. Billingham St Cuthbert, DUR
  15. Bilston Churches
  16. Birmingham Churches
  17. Birmingham Cemeteries
  18. Bishopswood, HER
  19. Bochrwd St Cynog's, RAD
  20. Bodfari, FLN
  21. Bolton St Peter, LAN
  22. Bradford St Nicholas, WIL
  23. Bradford St Peter, YKS
  24. Bream, GLS
  25. Bristol, city of
  26. Caerphilly St Martins, MGM
  27. Canewdon, ESS
  28. Cawnpore, India
  29. Chirk St Marys, DEN
  30. Cilcain St Mary, FLN
  31. Cinderford St John, GLS
  32. Christchurch Berry Hill, GLS
  33. Coleford Cemetery
  34. Cornwall Churches
  35. Crewe Christ Church
  36. Darlaston Wesleyan, STS
  37. Deane St Mary, Lan
  38. Derby Churches, DBY
  39. Dixton St Peter's, MON
  40. Drybrook, GLS
  41. Dudley St Thomas, WOR
  42. Dukinfield Cemetery, GTM
  43. Dymock St Mary's, GLS
  44. East Ham St Mary, LON
  45. East Stonehouse St George, DEV
  46. Eglwysilan St Ilan, GLA
  47. English Bicknor St Mary, GLS
  48. Farningham St Peter, KEN
  49. Feckenham St John, WOR
  50. Flaxley St Mary, GLS
  51. Flint St Mary, FLN
  52. Fownhope St Mary, HER
  53. Garth Road Cemetery, Merton, SRY
  54. Garway St Michael, HER
  55. Gateshead St Mary, DUR
  56. Gillingham, NOR
  57. Gloucester St Mary de Lode
  58. Goodrich St Giles, HER
  59. Hackney, LON
  60. Hanley St John, STS
  61. Heaton Norris, Christ Church, LAN
  62. Hereford Churches, HER
  63. Horton Kirby St Mary, KEN
  64. Hyde St Thomas, CHS
  65. Islington and St Panras Cemeteries
  66. Kempley St Mary, GLS
  67. Kidderminster St Mary, WOR
  68. Kimberworth St Thomas, YKS
  69. Ledbury, HER
  70. Linton St Mary, HER
  71. Littledean St Ethelberts, GLS
  72. Llanfihangel St Michael, MON
  73. Llanion Cemetery, PEM
  74. Longhope All Saints, GLS
  75. Lydbrook Holy Jesus, GLS
  76. Lydney St Mary, GLS
  77. Madley, HER
  78. Maldon St Marys, ESS
  79. Mitcheldean St Michael, GLS
  80. Monmouth St Mary, MON
  81. Mordiford, HER
  82. Moxley All Saints, STS
  83. Much Marcle St Bartholomew, HER
  84. Nantyglo, MON
  85. Newent St Mary, GLS
  86. Newland All Saints, GLS
  87. Newnham St Peter, GLS
  88. Old Buckenham All Saints, NFK
  89. Oxenhall St Anne's, GLS
  90. Parkend St Pauls, GLS
  91. Pontefract, YKS
  92. Portsmouth Churches
  93. Rawmarsh Cemetery, YKS
  94. Ross on Wye St Marys, HER
  95. Rotherham Minster, YKS
  96. Ruardean, GLS
  97. Shelsley Beauchamp, WOR
  98. Shoreditch, LON
  99. Smethwick, STS
  100. Soho St Anne's, LON
  101. Staunton All Saints, GLS
  102. Stepney St Dunstans, LON
  103. Stockport St Peter
  104. Tameside Cemeteries
  105. Taynton St Lawrence, GLS
  106. Tickenham Quiricus, SOM
  107. Tidenham, GLS
  108. Trevethin St Cadoc, MON
  109. Tutshill St Luke, GLS
  110. Upper Llanfrechfa, MON
  111. Upton St Leonards, GLS
  112. Upton Bishop, HER
  113. Viney Hill All Saints, GLS
  114. Walford, HER
  115. Wednesbury St James, STS
  116. Welsh Bicknor, HER
  117. West Bromwich Christ Church
  118. Weston under Penyard, HER
  119. Whitchurch St Candida, DOR
  120. Whitchurch St Dubricius, HER
  121. Wick, GLS
  122. Woodham Ferrers, ESS
  123. Woolaston St Andrews, GLS
  124. Yardley St Edburgha's, BIRM.
  125. Yorkley, GLS
Hereford Churches, Herefordshire

Burgums lived here, or nearby.

HEREFORD ST MARTIN'S in Hereford was built in 1845, replacing another church of the same name elsewhere in the city. It is on the Ross Road. It is cruciform in shape, with tower and lofty spire.

It is located close to the old SAS base and has close links with 22 SAS Regiement. At the rear of the church is the final resting place of some of the member of the Regiment. Inside the church are a number of notable glass windows and, in particular, a memorial window to the SAS Regiment.

An extract from the Hereford Times, dated 04 October 1845 - On Tuesday last, this interesting ceremony was performed by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese. The morning was ushered in by the ringing of bells; and long before the appointed time for the opening of the church, the roads leading to St Martin's were unusually thronged by carriages and walking parties, all proceeding to the same point of attraction. The interior of the church is remarkable for beauty and chastity.....
The alter, which is remarkably beautiful, is supplied with a massive table antiquely carved, and stalls to correspond, a gift of the Vicar, Dr Symons, and is adorned by a splendid and very clever painting, in fresco, of the Saviour, by Mr Charles Lucy, of this city. The pulpit, in character with the prevailing desin, rises from the fott of the steps leading to the alter on the north, and the desk is situated on the south side of the chancel.....
There was also a tent erected in the grounds, which was most tastefully laid out, in which upwards of 60 poor men and women, all of about 60 years, principally cottagers, tenants, and neighbours of Mrs. Powell, were sumptuously regaled with substantial eatables and good cheer. The afternoon was a delightful one, and considering the beauty of the scene on and around these grounds, everybody must have spent a most agreeable evening. The school-children and others, to the number of 200, were treated with an abundance of plum cake and other refreshments in the school-room, which was tastefully fitted up, by the kindness of the ladies of the neighbourhood.
Copyright Bob Embleton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
© Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
HEREFORD ST PETER'S appears to have been built about 1070 by Walter de Lacy dated by a carved stone discovered in 2011. The current church was built in the late 13th century and the early 14th century. It has a nave with north and south aisles and a chancel with a south chapel (The Lady Chapel) and a tower and spire. Restoration of the church took place in 1727, which included extra seating. It received a further restoration in about 1885.

HEREFORD ST OWEN'S is interesting because no longer exists! The parish church of St Owen, in Hereford was built some time before 1626, but its' demise came during the English Civil War (1642-1651) when the city of Herford changed hands four times. The church was destroyed andiIt was never rebuilt. St Martin's church, as stated above, was rebuilt and later replaced another church of that name on a different site.

The parish church of St Owen was situated "without St Owen's gate", one of the 6 gates used to enter the city of Hereford: they were removed between 1782 and 1798. The church site was later occupied by St James's Infant School. There was also a large graveyard, on the opposite side of St Owen's Street, stretching down as far as Daws Road. On a map of 1904 the graveyard was marked as "Disused", but by 1967 it had been cleared and its site occupied by housing.

Name Date Location BMD Minister Notes FT
Thomas Burgum 17 Aug 1772 Hereford St Martins Marriage   m=Mary Morgan  
Benjamin Burgum 12 Jan 1813 Hereford St Owen Burial   age 5w.  
Mary Ann Burgum 10 Nov 1816 Hereford St Peters Baptism   P=John + Mary Burgum  
Mary Ann Burgum 17 Apr 1817 Hereford St Peters Burial   P=John + Mary Burgum  
Elizabeth Burgham 07 Sep 1817 Hereford St Owen Burial   age 1y+.  
Elizabeth Burgham 20 Apr 1819 Hereford St Owen Burial   age 16y.  
Ann Burgum 17 Sep 1829 Hereford St Owen Burial   m=Richard Burgum, age 70