BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Places

  1. RETURN TO PLACES LIST
  2. About the Forest of Dean
  3. Abenhall, Gloucestershire
  4. Adits (definition)
  5. Anchor Inn, Lydbrook
  6. Ariconium, Herefordshire
  7. Arthur and Edward Colliery
  8. Bigsweir, Gloucestershire
  9. Bishopswood, Herefordshireshire
  10. Bixslade (Bicslade)
  11. Blakeney, Gloucestershire
  12. Bloomery (definition)
  13. Bradley House
  14. Brain, Cornelius
  15. Brain, Sir Francis
  16. Bream, Gloucestershire
  17. Bullo Pill, Gloucestershire
  18. Cannop Colliery
  19. Cinderford, Gloucestershire
  20. Clearwell, Gloucestershire
  21. Coalway, Gloucestershire
  22. Coleford, Gloucestershire
  23. Crawshay, Henry
  24. Danby Lodge
  25. Darkhill Brick, Colliery + Ironworks
  26. Dates in the Forest of Dean
  27. Dean Forest (Mines) Act 1838
  28. Dean Forest Railway
  29. Dean Forest (Reafforestation)
    Act 1668
  30. The Dean Forest Riots
  31. Dean Hall, Littledean
  32. Dean Heritage Centre
  33. Dean Road
  34. Delves (definition)
  35. Drew, Catherine
  36. Drifts (definition)
  37. Drybrook, Gloucestershire
  38. Eastern United Colliery
  39. Edge Hills Quarry
  40. Elwood, Gloucestershire
  41. Encloosure Act (1808)
  42. Euroclydon House
  43. Fairplay Iron Mine
  44. Favourite Free Mine
  45. Findall Iron Mine
  46. Flaxley, Gloucestershire
  47. Forest Of Dean Central Railway
  48. Free Miners
  49. Gale (definition)
  50. Gaveller (definition)
  51. Gunns Mill
  52. Green Bottom, Gloucestershire
  53. The Haie (house)
  54. Haie Hill Tunnel
  55. Harvey, F. W.
  56. The Hayes, Blakeney
  57. Hope Mansell, Herefordshire
  58. Hopewell Engine Colliery
  59. Horlick, James and William
  60. Iron Mine Level, Lydbrook
  61. Kensley Lodge
  62. Kings Lodge
  63. Littledean, Gloucestershire
  64. Lower Redbrook, Gloucestershire
  65. Lydbrook, Gloucestershire
  66. Lydney, Gloucestershire
  67. Mine Train Quarry
  68. Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
  69. Monument Mine
  70. Mushet, David
  71. Mushet, Robert
  72. Newland, Gloucestershire
  73. New Mills
  74. Newnham, Gloucestershire
  75. Norchard Colliery
  76. North United Mine
  77. Oaklands Court
  78. Oaklands Park
  79. Offas Dyke
  80. Old Bow Iron Mine
  81. Old Ham Iron Mine
  82. Parkend, Gloucestershire
  83. Perserverance Iron Mine
  84. Pill (definition)
  85. Pillowell, Gloucestershire
  86. Point Quarry
  87. Princess Royal Colliery
  88. Protheroe, Edward
  89. Pubs of the Forest of Dean
  90. Purton, Gloucestershire
  91. Redbrook, Gloucestershire
  92. Ruardean, Gloucestershire
  93. Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire
  94. Ruardean Woodside, Gloucestershire
  95. Scowles (definition)
  96. Siddon, Sarah
  97. Severn and Wye Railway
  98. Severn and Wye Tramway
  99. Severn Railway Bridge
  100. Severn Road Bridge
  101. Shakemantle Iron Mine
  102. Sling, Gloucestershire
  103. Soudley, Gloucestershire
  104. South Wales Railway
  105. Speculation Colliery
  106. Speech House
  107. Speech House Hill Colliery
  108. St Briavels Castle
  109. St Briavels, May-pole
  110. Staple Edge Lodge
  111. Strip-and at-it Colliery
  112. Symonds Yat
  113. Teague, James
  114. Teague, Moses
  115. Trafalgar Colliery
  116. Tramroad
  117. Trow
  118. True Blue Colliery
  119. Union Colliery
  120. Upper and Middle Forge
  121. Upper Lydbrook Station
  122. Upper Mill, Edge Hills
  123. Upper Redbrook
  124. Verderer (definition)
  125. Verderers' Court
  126. Welshbury Hill Fort
  127. Westbury Brook Iron Mine
  128. Whitecliff Furnace
  129. Whitecliff House
  130. Whitecliff Quarry
  131. Whitecroft
  132. Whitecross Manor
  133. Wigpool, Gloucestershire
  134. Wintour, Sir John
  135. Woodside Colliery, Ruardean
  136. Worcester Walk
  137. Yat (definition)
  138. Yorkley Court
Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire

Several generations of Burgums of the "AA", "FF" and the "RR" family tree lived at Mitcheldean, in the Forest of Dean.



The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland, 1868
describes the following - MITCHELLDEAN, (or Micheldean), a parish and post town in the hundred of St. Briavel's, county Gloucester, 2 miles S. of Mitcheldean Road railway station, 6 N.W. of Newnham, and 11 W. of Gloucester. The village, which is of ancient date, was formerly held by the Greyndours. There are coal and iron works, also tanneries. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated within the limits of Dean Forest.

The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £141. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone structure with a lofty spired tower 156 feet high, containing a clock and eight bells. The church has a carved oak roof and wall paintings of Edward IV.'s time. It contains several old tombs and an antique font. The parochial charities produce about £89 per annum, of which £62 goes to Lane's free school for both sexes. There is a place of worship for the Independents. The Wilderness is the principal residence. Maynard Colchester, Esq., is lord of the manor.

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) by John Marius Wilson described the following -
MITCHELDEAN
, MITCHELL-DEAN, or DEAN-MAGNA, a village and a parish in Westbury-on-Severn district, Gloucester. The village stands in Dean Forest, 1 mile E of the boundary with Hereford, 2 S of MitcheldeanRoad r. station, and 5 NNW of Newnham; is an ancient place; takes its name partly from the word "mickle ''or. great, and partly from its situation in Dean forest; and has a post office,‡ of the name of Mitcheldean, under Newnham, a good inn, a police station, and fairs on Easter Monday and 12 Oct. The parish comprises 680 acres. Real property, £2,637. Pop., 689. Houses, 144. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to the representatives of the 1ate Maynard Colchester, Esq. The Wilderness is the seat of Mrs. H. Davis. Coal and iron ore are worked in the neighbourhood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £176.* Patrons, the representatives of the late M. Colchester. The church is chiefly later English; was recently restored; consists of nave, S aisle, two N aisles, chancel, and porch, with tower and lofty spire; and contains an ancient font, some wall-paintings of the time of Edward IV., and several old monuments. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £81 a year, and charities £27.

More on the AA Family Tree here.
Create a link


More on the FF Family Tree here.
Create a link


More on the RR Family Tree here.
Create a link