BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Aston Ingham, Herefordshire

Several generations of Burgums of the "FF" family tree, lived at Aston Ingham, north of the Forest of Dean.

ASTON INGHAM is a parish and village situated on the borders of Gloucestershire. It is 6 miles from Ross on Wye, 11 miles north-west of Gloucester and 3 miles west of Newent. The population was 568 in the 1861 census and 556 in the 1871 census. There were about 124 inhabited houses, with 135 families or separate occupiers. Crops such as wheat, beans, and roots were grown here. Not far away in this parish is May Hill, which commands delightful and uninterrupted views of Gloucester, the Severn, and surrounding country. On the summit is a clump of fir-trees, which has a very singular appearance when seen from a distance, from the otherwise barren appearance of the hill. The church at Aston Ingham (picture below) is dedicated to St John the Baptist and is a plain stone edifice, with nave, chancel, porch, and tower.

FAMILY living at Aston Ingham were as follows -

1841 Census at Wall House, Aston Ingham (CS1841-5); William Burgum (cabinet maker), Edith Burgum and Anthony Burgum

1841 Census at New House, Aston Ingham (CS1841-16); George Burgum and five members of the Bolton family

1881 Census at Knapp House, Aston Ingham (CS1881-11); Edwin Burgum (farmer), Sophia Burgum, Thomas Burgum (farmers son) and Kate Burgum (scholar).


OTHERS listed below are the main residents of Aston Ingham taken from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-77.
Private Residents
Garrold, Mrs. Elizabeth - Linton Point
Higgins, William, Esq. - Rose Villa
Howell, Stephen Thos. - Esq., Aston House
Marsh, Dr. - Hill House
Whatley, Rev. Henry Lawson, B.A. (rector) - The Rectory

Commercial
Aubrey, Joseph - shopkeeper
Aubrey, Thomas - cottage farmer
Baker, William - carpenter & wheelwright
Davis, Thomas - farmer, May Hill
Dew, Walter - farmer, The Hill and Coldridge Farms
Griffiths - farmer, Great Giles Farm
Hardwick, Henry - farmer
Harrison, Henry - farmer, Lower Barrell and Upper Blakemore Farms
Higgins, Thomas - farmer, Knight's Hill; (Thomas Lloyd – bailiff)
Holder, Samson, senior - farmer, Aston Court
Holder, Samson, farmer - Lower Coldridge
Jackson, Samuel - farmer, Oatfield Farm
Lloyd, Thomas - farm bailiff, Knight's Hill
Little, Enoch - White Hart Inn, farmer & butcher, Aston Crews
Little, James - miller and farmer, Aston Ingham Mill
Lodge, William - farmer, Withymoor
Loveridge, William - farmer, Warren Farm
Marsh, Miss Mary H. - schoolmistress
Morgan, Daniel - glazier and paperhanger
Morgan, Thomas - cottage farmer, Frogs Bottom
Nelmes, Joseph - farmer, Upper Barrell
Palmer, Philip - carpenter, wheelwright and beer retailer
Pearce, George - Crown Inn and shop-keeper, Aston Crews
Polson, Thomas - stonecutter and mason
Pontifex, Richard - farmer, the Hay and Perry's Farms
Preedy, John - shoemaker and parish clerk
Pritchard, William - shopkeeper
Sterry, Thomas - thatcher
Whittaker, George - farmer, May Hill
Wood, Mrs. - cottage farmer, Little Giles
Young, Edward - nail maker



The map above shows the centre of Aston Ingham. Knapp House, where Edwin and Sophia Burgum were living in 1891, is between the Rectory and Knapp Farm.

The map below shows the principle areas in Herefordshire where Burgums and Burghams lived.
1. Aston Ingham         2. Foy                 3. Kempley               4. Kilcot             5. Linton            
6. Much Marcle           7. Taynton         8. Upton Bishop         9. Weston-under-Penyard

Aston Ingham BMD's for more on Aston Ingham parish registers.

Click here for the FF family tree