BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Walton on the Hill, Liverpool

Burgums lived here during 1830's-1840's.



WALTON-ON-THE-HILL was a village and a township in West Derby district, and a parish partly also in Ormskirk district, Lancashire. The village stood near the Liverpool and Ormskirk railway, 3 miles N of Liverpool; and had a post-office under Liverpool, and a railway station. The township comprises 1,886 acres. Pop. in 1851, 2,469; in 1861, 3,598, of whom 679 were in Liverpool borough jail. The Liverpool jail was erected between 1851 and 1861, and had capacity for 627 male and 429 female prisoners. A workhouse, on a site of 22 acres, was erected in 1864, at a cost of £33,000. A cemetery at Anfield comprised nearly 120 acres. The parish contained also Everton, Kirkdale, Bootle-cum-Linacre, Fazakerley, Kirkby, Simonswood, and Formby townships; included considerable part of Liverpool borough; and was ecclesiastically divided into 36 sections, one of which was Walton-Breck in W. township. St. Mary's church was Tudor. There were several dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school, three national schools, and charities.
Source - John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)

Henry Burgum married Charlotte Allen at St Mary's, Walton-on-the-Hill 24th August 1823. Eleven years later his brother, Charles Burgum, married Esther Pye Allen, also at St Mary's Church, Walton-on-the-Hill on 21st October 1834. Henrietta Burgum was born to the couple and christened 5th December 1842 at St Peter's, Liverpool, seven and a half miles further south.

More on the TT Family Tree here.
Create a link