BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Much Marcle, Herefordshire

Bickerton Court, at Much Marcle, was the home of Henry and Martha Burgum of the "FF" family tree. Their children Emily, James, Charlotte, Elizabeth, Charles, Henry and Arthur most of whom were born there. Later on, Arthur Avery Burgum and his wife Esther moved to Matthews Farm, at Kempley.

The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales (1894-95)
MUCH MARCLE a township and a parish in Herefordshire. The township lies adjacent to Gloucestershire, 5 miles SW of Ledbury, and 7 1/2 NE by N of Ross, and has a post and money order office under Gloucester; telegraph office, Dymock. Acreage, 4595 ; population, 756. The parish contains also the township of Yatton, and comprises 6047 acres 5 population of the civil parish, 923; of the ecclesiastical, 930. The manor is now divided into Marcle Audleys and Marcle Mortimers. The Mortimers had a castle, and tradition speaks of an EIlingham Castle, but the site has not been identified. Homme House, originally Elizabethan, and Hellens, built in the time of Henry VII., are chief residences. A remarkable landslip occurred on 17 Feb., 1575, at a place now called the Wonder. Marcle Hill there, on the evening of the 17th, began to move "with a horrible roaring noise;" it kept moving till the 19th, carrying along with it trees, hedges, and cattle, and overthrowing in its progress the chapel of Kinnaston; and it eventually settled in its present position, with an elevation greater than it originally had. A chasm, 40 feet deep and about 30 long, remained where the hill originally stood. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Yatton, in the diocese of Hereford; gross value, £600 with residence. The church stands on a rising-ground, is chiefly Norman, was restored in 1878, has a castellated tower, and contains monuments of the De Helions and the Mortimers. A small chapel adjoining the chancel was erected in 1628 by Sir John Kyrle; it contains an alabaster tomb of himself and his wife. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF HEREFORDSHIRE, 1856
Henry Burgum, farmer, Bickerton Farm, Much Marcle.

HISTORY, TOPOGRAPHY & DIRECTORY OF HEREFORDSHIRE
Mrs Burgum, farmer, Bickerton, Much Marcle (Page 268)

The map below shows the principle areas in Herefordshire where Burgums and Burghams lived.
1. Aston Ingham         2. Foy                 3. Kempley               4. Kilcot             5. Linton            
6. Much Marcle           7. Taynton         8. Upton Bishop         9. Weston-under-Penyard



More on the FF Family Tree here.
Create a link