The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names

Taynton, Gloucestershire

James Burgum of the "FF" family tree, lived at Taynton. His wife and children were born at Taynton.

John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
TAYNTON, a parish in Newent district, Gloucester; 2½ miles SSE of Newent, and 4 ENE of Mitcheldean-Road r. station. Post town, Gloucester. Acres, 2,501. Real property, £4,352. Pop., 689. Houses, 141. The property is much subdivided. T. House is the residence ofB. Atherton, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £450.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church was restored in 1866. There are a national school, and charities £24.

The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales (1894-95).

TAYNTON a parish in Gloucestershire, 2 1/2 miles W of Barbers Bridge station on the G.W.R., and 3 SSE of Newent. Post town, Gloucester; money order office, Newent; telegraph office, Huntley. Acreage, 2521; population, 487. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Cider and perry are made, and there is a manufactory of bricks and drain pipes. Taynton House, Longcroft, and Ryelands are the chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £294 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The old. church was destroyed during the Civil War, and the present one erected during the Commonwealth. It was restored in 1865, and reseated and a handsome chancel and organ chamber added in 1893-94. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

In fact, St Lawrence Church was a Prebyterian Chapel built at the expense of Thomas Pury, a personal friend of Oliver Cromwell. It was built, contrary to tradition, facing north-south.

James Burgum, son of Anthony and Elizabeth (Parry) Burgum was born at Aston Ingham. However, his wife Ann Haskins was born at Taynton and they had five children at Taynton between 1828 and 1839. By 1841 they were living at Bulley, just a few miles from Taynton. By 1851 they had moved to The Cross, at Abenhall, where James was working as a cooper. (CS1851-13). By 1871, they were living at Hawker Hill, Mitcheldean (CS1871-63). Ann Burgum died in 1878 and James Burgum died at Mitcheldean in 1883. In 1891 and 1901 (CS1891-15 and CS1901-19) their daughters Mary Ann and Francis S. Burgum were running a china shop at Merrin Street, Mitcheldean.

The map below shows the principle areas in Herefordshire where Burgums and Burghams lived.
1. Aston Ingham         2. Foy                 3. Kempley               4. Kilcot             5. Linton            
6. Much Marcle           7. Taynton         8. Upton Bishop         9. Weston-under-Penyard

Click here for the FF family tree