BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Upton, Worcestershire

Burgums of the "KK" family tree lived at Upton, Worcestershire.


UPTON-ON-SEVERN a parish, post and market town in the lower division of Pershore hundred, county Worcester, 10 miles S. of Worcester, and 5 W. of Defford railway station. It is a station on the Tewkesbury and Malvern railway. It is situated on the river Severn, which is here navigable for vessels of 100 tons burden, and is crossed by a bridge erected in 1853 in place of an older one destroyed by a flood in 1852. It is supposed to occupy the site of the Roman station Upocessa, mentioned by Ravennas.
Source: The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Upton-upon-Severn (or Upton-on-Severn) is a small town in the Malvern Hills District of Worcestershire, England, on the River Severn. It is located 5 miles (8.0 km) from Malvern, the bridge at Upton is the only one ending the English Civil across the river Severn between Worcester and Tewkesbury. The existing bridge, built in 1940, is a rivited steel cantilever bridge which replaced the 1854 bridge (pictured above). Upton was said to have been founded in 897. In 1651 General Lambert crossed the damaged bridge at Upton and barricaded themselves into the church. While the Royalist defenders attempted to remove them, Lambert's main force entered the town and captured it. The Battle of Worcester that followed led to defeat for the Royalists, War. The mediaeval church, dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, has a base dated to the 13th century, with the existing tower built about 100 years later. The main part of the church was rebuilt in 1750's with an uusual cupola design, later nicknamed the 'Pepperpot" (left). In 1879 a "new' church, also dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, was built at the southern end of the town (right).

The floods mentioned in the National Gazetteer of Great Britain of 1868 (above) have continued to cause problems with the last serious floods in 2000 and 2007. There are numerous pubs and hotels in Upton. The White Lion Hotel is a 16th Century Coaching Inn, parts of which date back to 1510. It featured in Henry Fielding's famous novel of 1749, "Tom Jones". The railway station at Upton was closed and remaining line fell under the Beeching cuts of 1961.

FAMILY living at Upton were as follows -

1861 Census at Cottage, Barnard's Green, Upton (CS1861-19); John Bailey and Charles J. Burgum (age 10)

1871 Census at Old Street, Upton (CS1871-13); Richard Burgham (age 7) with Charles Vokins, Ann Vokins (Richard's mother), and half sisters Annie and Ellen Vokins

1891 Census at Cottage Row, Upton (CS1891-54); Emanuel Burgham (agricultural labourer), Emily Burgham, Allen Burgham and William Vokins (half brother)

1901 Census at Cottage Row, Upton (CS1901-79); Emanuel Burgham (general labourer), Emily Burgham, Allen Burgham, Ernest Burgham, William Burgham and Fred Burgham

1911 Census at Cottage Row, Upton (CS1911-80); Emanuel Burgham (labourer), Emily Burgham, Allen Burgham (labourer bricklayers), William Burgham (gardening jobbing) and Jack Burgham (scholar).

Click here for the KK family tree