BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Walford, Herefordshire

Burgums and Burghams lived at Walford, Bishopswood, in Herefordshire, and at nearby Ruardean in Gloucestershire.



WALFORD in South Herefordshire is just two miles south of Ross on Wye. The name Welchford or Walecford meant for a crossing across the Wye into Wales. It includes the settlement Bishopswood. It is bounded on the west side by the River Wye. The local parish church is dedicated to St Michaels and All Angels. The sandstone church is Norman consists has a north tower, porches to the north and south with a nave and northern aisle.

The civil parish of Walford has three church buildings.
1. St Michael and All Angels, Walford
2. St John's, Howle Hill
3. All Saints Church, Bishopswood

It was also served by the following chapels -
1. Plymouth Brethren Chapel, Howle Hill (1865-1998)
2. Baptist Chapel, Leys Hill (1832-1962)
3. Wesleyan Chapel, Kiln Green

Bishopswood is also within the parish but was a separate ecclesiastical district formed in 1845, with a church dedicated to All Saints. It was built in 1841 and consecrated in 1845. It is a stone building with a porch, nave, a small belfrey and a single bell. The living is a vicarage with a value of £80, residence and 7 acres of glebe land. It was built by John Partridge, son of William Partridge, the iron-master, who once owned the Bishopwood estate.

There is evidence of a significant Roman presence, including the discovery of a hoard of 18,000 coins discovered in 1895 dated from about 350-360 AD together with much pottery. Bishopswood was later historically used for hunting in Saxon and Norman times.

During the siege of Goodridge Castle during the English Civil War, Col John Birch made his headquarters at Walford Court.

The population of Walford in 1861 was 1,204. Bishopswood had a population of 446 in 1871.

The Ross and Monmouth Railway operated through Walford from 1873 with a station in the parish at Kerne Bridge. Passenger services finally stopped in 1959.

Click here for the GG family tree

Click here for more about Walford and some of the Burgums and Burghams who lived there.