BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Ruabon, Denbighshire

Burgums from four different family trees either lived here, or within 30 miles of here, in the 1800's. Is there a connection?



RUABON is a parish in the county of Denbigh, just 5 miles from Wrexham. Samuel Lewis reported it had 11,292 inhabitants in 1841. It became important for its mines of ironstone and coal, which lay just to the south and west of the parish, as part of the Denbighshire coal tract. The principal seam was said to be about nine feet thick. Numerous mines and works built up in the area, employing approximately 1500 men and boys and the area became heavily industrialised, producing considerable deposits of coal, iron, and clay.

Iron had been worked since at the least the Middle Ages at Cinders due east of Ruabon and Gyfelia north-east of the town, but significant heavy built up during 1700s and 1800s. Coal was extracted from pits in an arc from the south-west, west and north-west of the town but most of these suffered flooding in 1846 and closed. Production continued at other pits principally Wynnstay (closed 1850s), Vauxhall, Hafod (closed 1968) and Bersham (closed 1986).

Iron was worked at Ruabon, and just to the west at Acrefair, Cefn Mawr and Plas Madoc. The British Iron Company, then later the New British Iron Company, operated the ironworks and collieries at Acrefair from 1825 until 1887. The canal system was used to export most of the mineral wealth via the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct on the Shropshire Union Canal, until 1855 when the railway finally reached Ruabon.

It was almost certainly the iron mines that attracted the Burgums to the area, who mostly worked as forgeman or similar iron-based occupations. Mary Burgum was baptised by her parents John and Elizabeth Burgum at Ruabon in 1814, with George Burgum their son George being similarly baptised in 1815.John Burgum was baptised here in 1818 by Thomas and Mary Burgum, while Joseph Burgum was baptised at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, at nearby Wrexham by Henry and Mary (Manwairing) Burgum in 1822. These families seemed to have been part of the QQ family tree. Tantalisingly some of the HH family tree were in nearby Flint (28 miles) and nearby Bagillt in 1841 (CS1841-29). Within 5 miles of Flint and Bagillt was Holywell and Mold (TT family tree 1850s), while other TT family lived at Bodfari (1820s) and later at Nantwich (1870s). Surely there is some connection for these Burgum families, living so close together. Finally Violet Burgum (OO family tree) was born at Ruabon to Harold and Alice Burgum in 1899. Coincidence? What do you think?

More on the HH Family Tree here.
Create a link


More on the OO Family Tree here.
Create a link


More on the QQ Family Tree here.
Create a link


More on the TT Family Tree here.
Create a link