BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Derby St Werburgh, Derbyshire

Several generations of Burgums from the "PP" family tree, formerly from Bolton, lived in Derby.



DERBY is the county town of Derbyshire, comprising the parishes of St. Alkmund's (church now demolished), St. Michael's, St. Peter's, All Saints (which became Derby Cathedral in 1927), and St. Werburgh's, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch. It is about 130 miles north of London, 56 miles from Manchester and just 16 miles from its neighbour Nottingham. It has an extensive rail network. Derby was both a manufacturing and a market town. Set by the River Derwent ,silk, cotton, , porcelain, and china was produced here. The Burgums who lived in Derby worked in the iron industry.

James and Emily Burgum were married at St Werburgh Church, Derby in 1864. Their children Elizabeth, Albert, Harriett and William were born in Derby between 1865 and 1872. St. Werburgh's stands on an old site, with a fine Gothic tower. The old church was often flooded by the adjacent Markeaton brook; the tower fell over in 1601, as did the church itself in 1698! It was rebuilt in 1708.

More on the PP Family Tree here.
Create a link