The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names


This article, compiled by the late Mary Burgum (pictured right), was published in the Maleny News, Queensland, Australia, in 1984.

William Burgum came from Gloucestershire, England in 1904 or 1905. He acquired scrub land in North Maleny, Portion 45 and Reserve 135. He was very clever at carpentary, plumbing and cement work and made enough money working for other new settlers to build a slab house and a couple of barns down near the Obi Creek on the property and to pay for some scrub falling to be done. Materials for the house and barns had to be brought to the site by pack horse. After a year or more, his 19 year old brother George came out from England and joined him. Their neighbours were Tom Rose and his wife, (on the property where, the Balmoral Rest Area is now situated). There was also Alfred Marshall, a retired Bank Manager and bachelor living - where in 1984 Mary Burgum lived. Marshall had bought the property from the first owner Thorvald Weitimeyer.

Mooloolah used to be the township and railway station that Burgums, Marshalls and Roses visited for supplies and mail. Tom Rose had an orchard established and used to send citrus by pack horse to Mooloolah Station. The creek had to be crossed for Burgums to get supplies. George used to tell of William being away on some work - the rain set in non-stop, the creek could not be crossed. George was stranded and often told of the way so many green frogs got into the house croaked that one night he laid into them with his belt trying to get them out of the house! When the creek eventually went down, Tom Rose in true, old-fashioned neighbourly fashion, told George to stay with them till conditions improved.

Tom Rose had been a migrant lad from England when he took up his property after the scrub was felled. What must have been the record crop ot all time was the cape gooseberries that came up. Labour was cheap and plentiful. Tom got people to shell and pack the gooseberries, sent them by pack horse to Mooloolah and they brought record prices in the Brisbane market. The profits gave Tom a start he benefitted from for all time. He was a man of good farming and business ability. Many years later, he was a Shire Councillor of Maroochy Shire Council.

On 1907, William Burgum married Cosette Weitemeyer (picture left) . Her parents were the first settlers on Montville in 1887. Cosette was born in 1882 and died in 1972. When she married William Burgum she came to the slab house down by the Obi Creek. By that time the scrub had been cleared, grass planted and some dairy cattle bought, as a butter factory had started in Maleny to which cream was taken, two or three times a week by pack horse. The first two of their five children were born while still living down near the Obi Creek.

William Burgum's father (Timothy) came out from England and joined the family at the age of sixty-nine. He undertook the job of taking the cream to the factory. By 1913, they moved into a new home built in a more convenient place where in 1984 - it was owned by the Hamiltons. The home was a Campbell ready-cut home and built by Sam Sallaway. The timber being brought in by Isaac Burgess's bullock team. After being in the new home three more children were born so before the end of the First World War, the family were William, Mary, Raymond, Thomas and Francis.

The road into the home must have been most difficult in the district. All transport on horseback and packhorse. The nearest neighbours were Cokleys. John and Jane Cokley had come from lreIand to Redland Bay then bought the farm property on which a small home was built in which Mrs Cokley and some of the children lived and sent the family to school which was situated in the paddock of what was Simpsons. The Rough families, the Simpsons, Wells, Cokleys and others scattered about the district went to that school as there was none in Maleny. Between Burgums and the road to Maleny there were first the Cokleys, Charlie Bryce (married to a Simpson) who was still alive (aged 97 in 1984). After Bryces, Stan Pattemore, then Alex Fleming and Ted Lawleys on the top of the hill above Maleny township. During the First World War, the two eldest Burgum children Mary and William started school either walking or riding to Maleny. What with the weather and the distance, they were often absent. When they first started school, the teachers were Bernard Breauch, Head Teacher, Miss Smith and Miss Harding. Miss Smith must have got a transfer and Miss Jane Gay replaced her. Miss Gay's family had a farm at Witta and Miss Gay used to "drive" to school with her brother, Arthur, who was a pupil.

During the First World War or very soon afterwards. Breauch had his name changed to Bruce by Deed Poll. His pupils used to refer to him among themselves as the German Scotsman! Incidentally, his parents were Danes! His father had been a shipmate from Denmark of Weitemeyer. During the First World War the school children used to march down to the then bridge leading out of the town to welcome the soldiers who came back from the war and people from about the district would all be there. The day the war ended, the school children were marched down to where the Ambulance building now stands and given fairy cake and lemonade! (Lemonade bottles had a glass marble in the neck). At the welcome homes to the soldiers on the bridge, the motor cars had the kids very interested, as there were very few in the district.

After the war, a bad form of influenza swept the world and all schools were closed for some time. Miss Harding, the school teacher died from it. Her brother was the manager of TytherIeigh's store in the township. Tytherleighs was A. M. Hunt's store in which the Post Office was situated. Beside the store was E. S. & A. Bank, then the School of Arts and McLeans Bakery. Miss Scott was post mistress and used to ride a piebald pony (Playmate) to work each day from her parents farm in North Maleny. Mr. Dinning was the bank manager and was still alive in 1984 past the age of 100. During the First World War William Burgum bought the adjoining Marshall property and cattle to stock it.The 1918 drought followed and the family knew lean times for many years afterwards. It was on the Gardener estate on New Year's Day 1919 or 1920 that a teenage Plucknett girl was drowned. She had two brothers. Alf and Ron who used to ride to school from the estate. Old John Cokley was illiterate, but was very interested in news of the world. Mrs. Cokley used to read the newspapers to him. During the war he used to say "they are dropping those 'bombs' about and doing more of that tor-pid-o-ing". Old Tom Maddox (father of Ewen) used to be very angry about aeroplanes being invented. He would say those things will be used for killing people some day".
(Right - Burgums at Obi Creek)

During the First World War, Dr Sampson was the doctor in Maleny. There had been a diptheria scare and when new children started school they were taken up to Dr Sampson who got a desertspoon, pressed it down on their tongue and looked down their throats. There was a horse paddock beside the school and a mad scramble when the children were saddling up to go home in the afternoons. A piano was bought for the school before that the only musical instrument was a tuning fork and the children were sometimes marched over to Bruce's home to hear their piano.

It was on the 8th of March, 1921 that Willam Burgum and 12 years old son William were drowned. William junior was on a horse to go over the creek to fetch the cows and his father was to stop them scattering and bring them up to be milked. The horse evidently stumbled and the son fell off and the father while going to his aid, resulted in both being drowned. Mrs Burgum - looking out to see if the cows were coming, saw the horse feeding on the other side of the creek. She went down to the creek and it dawned on her what may have happened. Through the rain and bad track she ran to Cokleys and raised the alarm. Neighbours came on horseback with Mrs. Bryce arriving in the evening to stay the night with the family till relations arrived. At dawn next morning a constable arrived on horseback - he had come up from Landsborouqh. Neighbours came to the creek with rain still coming down and at midday a senior policeman came. By the afternoon relations arrived who had come to Landsborough by train, then brought up by horse and sulky and finally having to walk into the home. It was a few days before the bodies of father and son were found and buried one evening at Witta.

Then life got taken up by Mrs Burgum and family of earning a living on the much-mortgaged property. They were fortunate to have had a couple of lads over the years who were good workers and reliable. The school age cousins (Jack and Margaret Francis) joined the family and in keeping with the times helped with the work. By that time the cream used to be taken by pack horse to Cokleys who took it to the factory on their buckboard. In 1921 a circus came to Maleny - from which a lion escaped.A child Mary McLean got too close to one of the lions who was chained up. The lion grabbed her head and Jack Grigor received great praise for going to her rescue and Mary McLean was not seriously hurt. In 1922 or 1923 an ambulance and shed were in Maleny. Around the same time a deviation was made by the Shire Council into Burgum's Road. A workman was hurt at Burgums. It so happened the first motor vehicle on the property was the ambulance. Burgum's property till after the Second World War was the last property in the Landsborough Shire which is why the road in that direction got the name, Burgum's Road (picture left).

In 1922 Mr. and Mrs. Cokley decided to have a trip back to Ireland which they had left long before the turn of the century. When they returned their description of the visit used to amuse the neighbours very much, particularly the kids. The boat put them of at Southhampton, then they took the train and were put off at Waterloo Station. Poor Cokleys, never were they in such a state of confusion. Old John said "at last I said Mother sit on the luggage and I will go and see if can get someone." As he started off, he said "A voice said is that you John?" "Be God it is, says I, never was I so glad to see a man in my life!" It was Ted Smith who I had worked for at Montville about '40 years ago. John continued I nearly jumped "six toot in the air". Ted Smith took over, had the luggage put on the boat for Ireland and gave Cokleys a ride in a taxi around London before the boat left. He met them when they came back from lreland and put them on the boat for Australia. The visit to Ireland was not as happy as they hoped for, most of their old friends and relatives had died, the country had changed to what they remembered. They had a photo taken while there, which was the most like the way all who knew them would remember.

When the Burgum children were young, the adults used to speak about Walter Scott being killed by a tree on their property. On that property in 1984 Dr Dingle and his wife lived. Scott must have been killed around the year 1912. Soon afterwards Frank Wells on the property opposite Scotts dropped dead in the cow bails. Either a heart attack, or killed by lightning. In 1922, the then Governor of Queensland, Nathan, with the Governor and his wife Dame Margaret Davidson of N. S. W., paid a visit to the school, after opening a new bridge in the township. I believe they had lunch at the Maleny Hotel. The School children lined up on their horses to form a guard of honour. Decorations had been put up around the school and Bruce had arranged a programme. Some of the children made speeches to which the V.I.P.'s responded and Maurtce Cork sang. Afterwards the V.I.P.'s planted trees in front of the school. Prior to that visit the school had had a visit from other dignitaries, among them, the Premier of Queensland Fehiely. I can remember the kids sang 'When Irish Eyes are Smiling' also 'Loves Old Sweet Song". Mr Feihley made a speech and said he had been a school teacher in Ireland. Maleny was a bit far for children in North Maleny and Baroon Pocket to go to school so the parents put up a slab school in 1922. It was called a Provisional School and the Department provided a teacher. That school was in use for three years or more when a State School was built by the Department.

Among the pupils at North Maleny School were the next generation of the Roughs, Wells, Egans, Taylors, the two youngest Burgums, Francis Heaths, also Thynnes. Before the First World War A. J. Thynne had bought land in Baroon Pocket and had a silo erected. In 1984. the Silo was converted into a home. Ted Thynne and his family were living on the property before the first world war they must have gone there about 1907. Mrs Thynne used to tell about bringing her first baby to Maleny and the rain was pelting down. Mrs Thynne purchased a sheet of leather in Tytherteigh's Store and wrapped it over the infant and rode to Baroon Pocket with him. There - the Thynnes were with the new infant and couldn't get off the property for about three months owing to the rain. Along the range of the other side of the creek, Brewers had come to live where Roses were and where Balmoral Rest Area now is. They arrived there during the first world war. Brewer was a brother to Mrs Rose. The Roses went to live at the bottom of the range for a while then shifted into Eudlo then finally settled in Maroochydore. Also along the range was John Manion, his son Cliff was still on the property in 1984.

(Picture right -The Maleny Burgums).
Opposite Manions was Harry Weitemeyer - he was Mrs Burgum's brother. He was the first white child born on Montville Brewers. Manions and Weitemeyer all used to pack the cream on pack horses three times a week and take it to Eudlo.

Further along the range Alfred Marshall lived where he owned the property owned by Christine Porter in 1984. He did not dairy, he fattened bullocks. It would have been in 1922 or 1923 that the first motor car went from the Mateny roadside to Montville. The road went over the top of all the hills, no side devations at the time. The Burgum family wanted to get over for the event, but the car came an hour or two before the expected time, so the Burgum family were not there, but could see the car get up the hill to Brewers.

Next morning, the milking was done early so there would be no missing out on the car's return from Montville. The car was an "Overland'. It must have been in the years between 1924 and 1926 that the Council had deviations cut through Burgums, Brewers and further along Marshalls. It was accomplished with horses and scoops. Brewers bought an Oldsmobile car and it was a treat for Burgums to go up to Brewers and get a ride to Maroochydore.